Position Title: Projectionist
Location: Cinestudio in Hartford, Connecticut
Status: Part-Time – Hourly
Salary: $15.25/ hour
Working Hours: Mostly evenings with some weekend shifts. Occasional weekday afternoon shifts may also need to be scheduled.
About our organization:
Cinestudio is a not-for-profit independent film theater located on the campus of Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut. The theater is a magnificent single-screen venue with 450 seats, reconstructed as a classic 1930s-style movie house, including a much-loved balcony and golden curtain. The building is a signature design by McKim, Mead, and White, built-in 1935.
Founded in 1970 by a group of students at Trinity, Cinestudio has become one of the most highly respected arthouse cinemas in the United States. It has a longstanding reputation for its vast diversity of programming and legendary projection sound quality. With the highest quality 4K digital cinema systems, Cinestudio has also retained its top-of-the-line physical film, 35mm and 70mm projectors.
Cinestudio is seeking a talented, knowledgeable individual to join our projectionist team and carry out the following job functions:
● Operation and maintenance of digital cinema projectors and related systems.
● Ingest and prepare show/pre-show content, building a playlist, loading, checking, and troubleshooting KDMs (keys) as directed.
● Monitor presentations to ensure standards for sound and image quality are met.
● Aid in setup, rehearsal, and operation of live event components and special events.
● Perform regular maintenance of cinema systems/equipment as directed.
● Basic troubleshooting. Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution to resolve a problem or malfunction.
● Cover ticket sales in the ticket booth as needed when volunteers are not present.
● Open and close the facility according to approved procedures and schedules.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
● A minimum of 2 years of experience working as a projectionist.
● Familiar with operation and maintenance of projectors
● Familiar with operation and maintenance requirements for Barco digital cinema projectors or similar and Dolby servers.
● Strong understanding of video formats, processing, and signal flow.
● Strong troubleshooting skills
● Must maintain focus in a high-pressure environment and adapt to last-minute changes.
● Be reliable, responsible, focused, and on time for all work calls.
● Practice safe working habits.
● Must be able to access the booth by stairs, and be able to work in varying temperatures.
● The ability to climb ladders and work at heights may be needed.
● Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed and occasionally on short notice.
Interested applicants: Submit a cover letter, and current CV or resume, to Lmichaels@cinestudio.org. Cinestudio is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Cinestudio welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
*Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required as a condition of employment in accordance with Trinity College policy.